Saturday, November 29, 2014

Refiner's Fire

November 24th, 2014 (Mom:  catch up, part 2)

Okay so this week were blessed yet again!  The hand of the Lord is REALLY in this area.  I just love Sister Perkinson, we get along so so so well.  We just laugh and have fun and work hard together, its the best.

Nothing too big really happened this week - all of our investigators are doing awesome and we are really looking forward to the baptisms coming up this month.  :)  We were able to help out at the funeral of the sweet lady that passed away in our ward.  It was really neat to hear about her life, she really sounded like such a kind person.  I didn't really know her too well, besides the fact that she brought us granola bars every Sunday to church and gave us a hug!  She goes "honey, we know everyone gets hungry in church... here's a snack!"  So sweet.  :)

We found a new investigator "K" - he has a similar story to "B".  Just got out of prison, and wants to turn his life around.  We street contacted him, and he told us we could come back.   When we came back we were able to meet his girlfriend that lives with him and she actually turns out to be a less active!  She was baptized just a few years ago, but had some hardships like a rough divorce, lost her kids etc. and she turned back to her old ways.  But she let us in and we were able to hear her testimony and teach "K" as well.  She wants to come back to church, and he is on house arrest, so we aren't sure about church yet, but he does want to turn his life around and says "the Mormons are the best people I have ever met."  So that is neat.  "B" will be a great member to fellow ship now that he is baptized because he can relate so much, it's funny.  They both have a rough past, they both love Harley Davidson motorcycles, they both have tattoos, its just really neat!

So lately as I have been studying the sacrament and really reflecting on my week, I've been trying so hard to really take that time to focus.  To really come prepared to listen to the prayer, to think about The Savior, think about what I did that week, come with a repentant heart, and willingness to change.  Just as Elder Holland says it best in his talk "This Do in Remembrance of Me" where he states that  "this particular ordinance ...has been called “the most sacred, the most holy, of all the meetings of the Church."  I have never really felt that sacred and holiness before, so I have really been trying to feel that lately.  Something I have noticed as that I am doing this, I feel worse!  (Wait!  Keep reading!)  As I come and I reflect, I notice more of my faults, more of my shortcomings, and the things I did wrong... but then what shortly follows is that desire to change.  And then a change happens, and I become better.  It reminded me of what "B" said when we started teaching him, he said "I feel more guilty doing bad things, then when I was actually doing the bad things!  When I was sinning before, I felt fine, didn't bother me at all, but now when I want to endulge in something sinful I feel HORRIBLE...what is up with that?? "  And we were able to explain that it is wonderful!  That now that he is closer to the spirit, he is being refined, and what once never bothered him now does.  That is how I am feeling, now that I take that weekly time to ponder on how I can be better, I too am being refined.  I notice more things, because I am drawing closer and closer to the Spirit, with a stronger desire to change.  Just as that new video on the Mormon channel shows metal and the refiner's fire, we are all being purified.  So really this time is such a blessings, that I can be purified week by week while drawing closer to the Lord.

Video: Refiner's Fire

Okay, so a miracle we saw this week.  I think I've talked about standards before, it's these goals that our mission president has set for us to reach every week.  How many lessons we have, new investigators etc.  Sister Perkinson and I have been working really hard and we've hit standards the past 3 weeks, but this week when it came to Sunday night (the last night) we were one investigator short of reaching or goal.  So after church we were finding, finding, finding...with lots of no's.  We just weren't finding anyone.  So we went to our dinner appointment feeling a little discouraged, but still had faith that we could find a little after dinner before we went in.  We ate dinner and then one of the boys in the family said the closing prayer and asked that we would specifically find a new investigator!  So with our faith rejuvenated, we went out.  Just as we left their house, a name popped into my head. "S.M."  He is a less active member that has cancer and he is really struggling.  We stopped by before but there wasn't much we could do to help, but we went anyway.  We knocked on his door and his wife answered and let us in, we were able to teach the Restoration to both of them and promise them that even in their darkest hour, when they feel so lost and confused and saddened by his health struggles, we know this gospel will bless them fully.  And they are interested in taking the lessons...it was a miracle! So we were able to reach standards once again. 

The Lord really blessed us.  :)

So - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  We have THREE Thanksgivings this week... so many people in the ward want us to come over so we just decided to please everyone and go to all of them.. wish us luck :)

Love you all!

Sister Wawro

PICTURES:
Marijuana is legalized...it's kinda sad - there are advertisements everywhere!

We never know whose turn it is to pray, so this is always what happens.  We both sit there with our eyes closed, and then peek open one eye and look at each other, and then die laughing... so we decided to re-enact so everyone can enjoy it!  Ha ha!



With Sister "P" who takes good care of us


This is the "K" family that we had dinner with Sunday night.  The tall boy is the one that prayed for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment