Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Parade, Freezing Car Wash, & Homemade Wreaths!

From Janene - sorry about some of the formatting and crazy-big spacing between pictures.  Technology isn't working with me today.  LOL!

So this was a pretty exciting and crazy good week!
First, our investigator that is on date for baptism is doing SO WELL.  I seriously just love her.  She asks all the right questions, truly applies all that we teach into her life, and it's amazing to see that kind of transformation in someone.  I just love being an instrument in the Lord's hands and watching the beautiful work that He does, helping other people come into His fold.  What a blessing to be a missionary at this time and in the area.  She came to church and it was one of the best meetings I have ever attended.  The speakers were SO in tune with the spirit, and addressed a lot of what SHE needed to hear.  I know that was not coincidence, but by the influence of the the Spirit.

We had zone conference this week with President, and our cars had to be cleaned for inspections.  So the only problem is, there isn't a car wash on the island, like no joke.  So we stayed up washing our car, in the freezing cold with a bucket of water, a rag, and Windex.  It was pretty hilarious.  The liquid was literally freezing to the car before our eyes, and freezing to the rag, which I found pretty hilarious.  So that was quite an adventure. 

Our car doesn't even fit in the garage, it was pretty funny! This is the beginning of our washing experience.  Lol!  Haha!  We actually didn't pass inspection... but by that point I was like ahhhh whatever!  Lol!  If president ever asks about it, I have pictures for proof! LOL!



 





























 










We had a really cool opportunity to volunteer at the local Food Bank this week and I really just loved it.  We got to work with so many different people, and I just love talking and working with other people.  We did a variety of tasks, but you know me, my favorite was organizing the shelves and products so they looked best.  :)

There was a relief society activity this week where we got to make wreaths.  I had never even heard of this!  People hand-make these wreaths for Christmas from sticks and branches of trees!  Being a Texas girl, this was way out of what I was used to.  Haha!  I thought it was kinda silly, at first but I LOVED it and I am so proud of my wreath!  It was so fun and I want to make a homemade wreath every year!  I ended up giving my wreath away to our investigator on date for baptism, but I enjoyed it hanging up for the short time I had it :)

 



 


















































This weekend in downtown Langely, we were walking to go check our mail at the post office and there was the town's Christmas Parade going on!  It was so fun to watch!  But also pretty hilarious... the island is such a silly place.  There were cross dressing Santa Clause's at the front, well...maybe they were trying to be Mrs. Clause?  Haha!  It was pretty funny to see.  Then there was a Scottish bag pipe band playing in their kilts, so that was pretty cool to see, then there were other various booths, but finally the back was Santa Clause in a slay being pulled by...the rehab center bus!  Hilarious!  It was really silly, but totally made my whole day to watch.  Lol!!

I've had many cool experiences this week with the spirit influencing me.  I can't tell you how many lessons I was in and someone asked a questions that I had no idea how to answer, or what would be the right thing to say.  But then a scripture or a verse would pop into my head.  It is such a wonderful opportunity to truly be an instrument in the Lord's hands and receive revelation for the investigator or person we are meeting with.  I know those thoughts were not my thoughts, but the Lord giving me the tools I needed to help those in need.

Grandma Betty made my whole day and sent me presents (now waiting under the Christmas tree for Christmas) and apple sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT MADE MY WHOLE DAY I probably ate half the jar with a spoon from the package itself!  Woohoo!

Since the high is 28 degrees, I've become a master at hot cocoa making!  :)

 This is our little Christmas Tree we made in our apt. with lights
 Princess stockings from the dollar store!  LOL


Presents from Grandma

We ate with a Swedish couple last night and they had this cool tradition where you drink this Glogg stuff in a little glass, and you are suppose to eat it with a mini spoon with almonds and raisins in it.  It was pretty tasty, and I thought it was pretty cool!


We had to be up at 5:30am to catch the ferry to be at the mission office by 7:45am.  That was an early morning... but the ferry was BEAUTIFUL


 I've really come to LOVE lighthouses, I'm a little obsessed with them, I already have little light house trinkets I've started collecting...Lol!  (From mom, she got that from her dad.  Bill has always loved lighthouses!  Fun to pass that along to her!)



I'm feeling happier than ever, and loving the island!

Sister Carina Wawro

No comments:

Post a Comment