Tuesday, October 1, 2013

First Baptism!

Well I can't believe its almost October!  Transfers are coming up this week.... what the heck.  How has it already been 6 weeks!? Also I will surely die if I get transferred. Seriously I love South Whidbey way too much!  Also Sister Cromar keeps joking with me that I am going to be a trainer.. that seriously scares me so much.  (Also just btw, if I am ever made trainer, I have to get a car gps, like a Garmin ya know? just a heads up)  But lets not plan for that now. Lol I can't imagine trying to train someone else how to be a missionary, I'm like 'Uh excuse me I don't even know what I'm doing'. Haha but really.  Actually everyone in the ward has been so nice, they're like Sister Wawro we do not believe this is your first area, you came from the MTC pre-trained! But I think its because this ward just LOVES us so much, since they have had a run of "less than awesome" missionaries which is sad.  All they do is praise us, what am I gonna do when I go to a new area and I don't get all this special treatment and praise from the ward members? Haha, but seriously I just love this place so much.

So we had a baptism this weekend on Saturday! It was so wonderful.  We had a great turn out of ward members from church and then a lot from L's family, who are all non members.    At her baptism she had her mom and dad and 3 younger brother, her aunt and uncle and their kids, both sets of grandparents and another uncle who is a young adult.  The spirit was so strong at the baptism and we were able to play the restoration of the church video.  My heart was so full when I looked at the family who were all watching the video really intently and listening.  I was praying the spirit would touch their hearts.  The next day at church both H, her sister in law, and grandfather came to church and witnessed her confirmation.  That isn't even the best part.  Since it was Fast Sunday I was feeling so strongly to go up and bear my testimony, but I wasn't sure exactly what to say.  While I was sitting on the stand and waiting for my turn I say a prayer like "Heavenly Father I'm not sure what to say, but help my testimony touch someone's heart or be an answer to someone's prayer.  Help me to be an instrument in thy hands today."  After the meeting I had forgotten of that experience, and H came up to me and said "Sister Wawro you had a glow around you while you were speaking, I didn't notice that with anyone else.  I listened the most to what you had to say than anyone else, for some reason your talk really stood out to me, I liked it."  I know that was most definitely not of my own doing, but an answer to my prayer that I was able to be an instrument in Heavenly Father's hands that day.  I'm excited to start teaching her and see all that the Lord has in store for this family.  I have just been feeling so blessed lately. I'm truly happier than I have ever been in my entire life.




Also this weekend we had the Relief Society Broadcast and it was so wonderful!  It was broadcast at our church building so we went up and were able to watch it, and also had a bread, soup, and salad dinner!  I just love this gospel so much.  Getting to hear from so many beloved church leaders was such a testimony strengthening experience for me.  Also the soup was delicious, but it really made me miss mom's potato and ham soup...man I love that stuff!

Church was awesome, as always.  I told you earlier about my experience with H.  Sister Cromar and I also got to teach the third hour.  They combined all the adults and we taught on missionary work and how important the members are, we got some really cool statistics I want to share with you that we shared with them.  1 in 1000 people will be baptized from the missionaries efforts alone (knocking on doors, talking to people) 85 in 1000 will be baptized from the missionary being able to use a members name when talking with someone (member referral) 350 in 1000 will be baptized from the missionaries being introduced to someone by the member,  and then 650 in 1000 will be baptized from the missionaries being in the home with the member and their non member friends (where a message can be shared).  This was mind blowing to me.  Just look at the difference between the 1 and the 650 people with the members help.  At the meeting I was able to talk about why I love being a missionary so much and be able to share my testimony.  I just felt so happy.  I love talking about missionary work, and talking about my love for the Savior and his church. 

My mission has truly been a life changing experience, and it has only been less than 2 months, I cannot even wait to see in the next 16 months what will happen.   This has most definitely been the hardest thing I have EVER done.  I was talking (well emailing) with dad about that and he shared similar feelings he had on his mission.  I told him it makes me feel better that he (and I'm sure every missionary) struggled with the same things I'm struggling with, tiredness, stress, motivation, and the biggest challenge is the one within yourself.  It made me feel better, like I'm not inadequate, those feelings are normal.  Also I LOVE that he said, those times are hard but "those things are what help us to be more Christlike and that is the fine polishing of our souls."  I love that, fine polishing of our souls.  Its true I am growing so much every day.  My prayers are better and more in tune, more focused on others, non-repetitive.  My scripture reading is no longer just going through the motions, but truly yearning to learn and strengthen my testimony. I cannot imagine my life or where I would be without serving a mission. Its so refreshing to focus on everything but myself.  I don't even have time to focus on me, its all about other people, how I can help them, what are their needs, what service can I offer?  And guess what, I have never been happier.  My life will forever be changed because of my mission.

Well I can't think of anything else, if I do I'll send you a quick letter in the mail.  Tell everyone thanks for writing me! I wish I had more time to write letters, I can only write on Monday (which I didn't even know was a rule until like a week or two ago and I was like 'well.. whooops, I've been breakin that one for a while now'... Hahaha). But yes, thank you to everyone who has kept in contact with me, I love the letters. Send everyone my love!! :)

Love,
Sister Wawro

p.s. This is 'MOM' - thought I'd include one of the pictures she sent while she was still in the Missionary Training Center (MTC)...a close-up of her missionary nametag!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment