Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"The Goose" and Yard Chickens

From yesterday, Monday, Sept. 24th, 2013:

Man the time is really flying by! I just can't believe that its already almost October and then I'll be at my 2 month mark!  Crazy...

This week has been amazing, these past few days actually have just been the best days I've ever had yet.  I just feel so uplifted, so happy and excited, so driven lately.  I read the Book of Mormon every day for an hour, and I am currently studying the "Characteristics of Christ" and his role and effect on the people in the Book of Mormon.  That has been such an amazing experience, I'm already in Jacob and I have so many pages of marks of insights I've read about Christ and his role.  What a testimony building experience that has been for me, truly its amazing.  Also we have been challenged by our Sister Trainer leaders to find THREE new investigators this week! We have been struggling for weeks to find just one, so this was shocking, but I know it was by divine inspiration because we just felt so pumped! We went through all of our member referrals, our area book, looked at all the former investigators, everything and we have come up with a list of 30 potential investigators to visit this week.  I just feel so excited, this burning inside me that makes me so happy to get to share the gospel and invite so many people to partake of the joy that comes from Christ. 

So we have been praying for help and expecting miracles, and yesterday, we got a NEW INVESTIGATOR.  He is our apt. manager,  he's 91 years old but you would never know it, he's so young, fun and active.  He's lonely so he really enjoys that every Sunday we come and sit on his porch and talk with him for an hour.  I finally got the courage to ask him if we could teach him a little more and he said YES.  So we have an appointment on Saturday.  Sister Cromar and I were the first area to get a new investigator since the challenge was issues by our STL's.   That felt so great,  we almost got a second one in the same day, this woman named "I", her son is a member and while we were there she said she was thinking about learning what he learned but needed more time to think about it and decide for herself.  It is just so exciting, the Lord is preparing the hearts of the people on the island, and I can't wait to see all that he has in store for us this week.  I just went to bed last night with the biggest grin on my face.  I just feel so blessed to be a missionary,  Its the BEST feeling to bear your testimony to someone and see their eyes or hear light up and you know that the Light of Christ is speaking through you.  I love it here so much, I just love missionary work and have been so blessed to receive so much help and guidance from the Savior.  Its so cool to witness the miracles of Christ, and answers to prayers on a DAILY basis.  Needless to say, I am ecstatic to be a missionary.  Definitely the best decision I have ever made. It is by FAR the hardest thing I have seriously ever done, but it truly is the most rewarding.  I cannot imagine life without having have served, I have already grown so much, I can't wait to see where I am in 17 months from now!

Well there is not much that is new here.  "L" is getting baptized on Saturday and we are just SO excited, that will be a great day. :)  On Saturday we were able to go down to Bellingham to Sister Cromar's old area because her investigator was getting baptized.  It was really cool to see a baptism as a missionary and the joy and spirit that is present there.  The girl that got baptized was in the Young Single Adult ward and so she's only 20 and her grandpa was able to baptize her, it was just so sweet and the spirit was so strong.  I can't wait for our baptism this Saturday and the many more that we get to be a part of.  I want to have SO many baptism on the island!  I want all 30 of our potential investigators to be baptized! It will be exciting to see all that the Lord has in store.

We are now the new gospel essentials teachers in the ward.  Why do you ask?  Well.. this Sunday the topic was 'Fasting" and what did we talk about in class?  Ramadan. Islam.  Fasting for the kingdoms, the sun moon and stars, fasting isn't just for food, you can fast from your tv or newspaper or anything really.  When you give up anything for the Lord it counts.  The actual definition of fasting was not addressed even one time.  So that was frightening haha.  When he started going on about Ramadan I was like, oh no... so yeah no, we are the teachers.  The Lord definitely prepared me since I taught that class already in the Single Adults ward back home.  That will be really exciting.

Sister Cromar and I are also going to sing here pretty soon in church, that will be really exciting.  I'm glad they allow us to do things like that as missionaries.  Plus it'll be a great way for us to be able to get people to church, especially a lot of the less active members.  We've mentioned it briefly to a few people we visit and they're like "OH yes please give us the date in advance and we will be there!" So that will be great!

Well.  The ward is so great,  the people here are great.  I am just loving it.  I will so totally cry when I get transferred!  The people at church just treat us like royalty, they think we are so great.  They talk so highly of us and let us know how proud they are, that has been really uplifting to hear and gets us motivated.  So many people take care of us and watch over us, that is a real blessing. 

I am just happier then ever.  I am more tired then I have ever been in my life! Lol But that's okay because I'm not here for me, I'm here for the Lord and I'm on the Lord's time.  I would never be able to take a nap or sleep in, knowing that this is the Lord's precious time, and that is such a blessing.  I truly just love it here so much.  And I am lovin' the slugs ;)

I just want to share a quick though about my studies.  So like I said I have been reading the Book of Mormon and studying the characteristics of Christ and earlier this week I was reading in 2 Nephi chapters 19 and 20, and he is talking about the words of Isiah who is prophesying about the wickedness of the people because Christ comes, but one thing I just loved was that it says 4 times in the span of about a page (Talking about Christ) "For all his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still"  And for some reason I just love that.  That the people were being so evil and the destruction going on, and yet the Lord is sad or disappointed or even angry, but his hand was always stretched out.  He NEVER turned away.  Just like our parents at home.  We can be bratty and disobedient and they may get angry, but they are always there.  That is how our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are.  They often times get disappointed with our actions, but no matter how far off the path we are, no matter how disobedient we are, He is always still there.  I had never notice that before and it really just touched my heart.  If I hadn't have been really trying to discern the characteristics of Christ, I probably would have never caught that.  Anyways that's all. 


The water looks so beautiful at night and I love that you can see the lights from the mainland reflecting on the water.  Clearly this picture doesn't do it justice.
This is a typical walk up to someones house here.  It makes tracting hard because there are no neighborhoods to just knock on doors, but its nice and so beautiful.  Dad would love a place like this, hidden in the woods, you feel like there's no one around you, except there are - you just have to walk through the forest next to you to get to them. Lol!

This is one of the houses we walked up to.  This picture doesn't even give it justice, my goodness it was so weird and kind of hilarious.  Chickens walking around everywhere. Lol

Yes, this is our grocery store "The Goose".  There is no Wal-mart or Target here. Lol!

Thank you everyone for the letters, I am trying to write back to everyone!  I love you all!

Love
Sister Wawro

No comments:

Post a Comment