Monday, March 24, 2014

Bittersweet Day - Saying Goodbye...

This week has been one of the best weeks I've had in a while.  Lately I have just been feeling down.  I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I was just feeling kind of sad and uneasy.  We had a look at our investigators and only one is progressing, the others are just "like to meet with missionaries for fun/entertainment" kind of people.  So in my letter last week, when I was talking about that referral that called us back, we were praying so hard for a new investigator and a family to bring into the gospel.  We did the pamphlet and it was a total crash and burn.  She just wanted to Bible Bash, she read the scripture in Revelations when we talked about the Book of Mormon and said 'we would be punished and damned for adding to the Bible' and she told us 'we were deceivers'.  We just tried to bear sincere testimony and leave on a good note, but we were just so disappointed.  I have been praying so hard to find a new investigator, to find someone to share the gospel to.  All of our tracting efforts have led to "no's".  I was just feeling really in despair, almost as if the Lord had forgotten us.  But of course, He NEVER does and we had a miracle. 

We went to visit a less active member "R" - she is elderly and joined another church on the island, but was thinking about coming back to the Mormon church.  So we talked with her, had a lesson, and she invited us to lunch.  When we came for lunch later that week, her caretaker 'B' was there.  Throughout the conversation 'B' mentioned that she was recently divorced, a single mom of 3 kids, and looking for church on the island.  She has been to a few "but hasn't found the right one."  At the end of lunch, we invited her to take the missionary lessons, and she responded with "well, I was actually wondering if I could come to church on Sunday!  I really need it, and my kids need it."  We were floored!  When we shared a scripture of the Book of Mormon and bore testimony, she was teary-eyed.

Then the next day, Sunday, sure enough, there was 'B' and her 3 kids.  The ward just took she and her kids right in.  I was so proud of them.  Even the primary kids, who were the ages of her kids, came and got them after sacrament meeting and held hands with them walking to class.  After church the kids were all so sad to leave, and she was telling them, "don't worry, we will be back next week".  We were also able to set up a lesson with her for Tuesday to teach the Restoration.  What a miracle, the Lord has not forgotten me or any of His children.  Sometimes He just wants us to continue working diligently and working through the hard times, and closed doors, and rejection, to be worthy and thankful for those tender mercies.  So we can more fully recognize them.  As I sat in church yesterday and just looked at 'B' and her family, and "R" and all these miracles I was filled with the utmost joy.  The fullest joy I have ever felt, not joy of myself, but for her and her family, to bring this light to them.  And at that moment, all the challenge was worth it, 100%.  What a testimony builder to me, to work diligently and always trust that the Lord is preparing the hearts of the children of men to hear His word at the time of His coming and His glory.

I love Sister Oswald with all my heart.  She is a joy and a blessing to work with.  She has humbled me and I have grown so much from being her companion. She is a choice and tender spirit, she is so close to our Heavenly Father, and He loves her very much. She is just so sweet and sincere in her testimony and her spirit.  I am truly thankful for these last 12 weeks I've had to spend with her.

On another note, we find out about transfers today, the whole ward just about flipped out when they announced on Sunday that I might be leaving.  It was a tear-filled day, but I was so thankful for all of the people that came up with tears in their eyes and personally thanked me for my service.  It's been hard, and it's pushed me, but it has been so rewarding to serve here.  I am gratefully for all of the members, and if I go, it will be hard to leave.

What a blessing it is to be on a mission.  I can't imagine my life without it.  I know I wouldn't be where I am now, spiritually and mentally and everything.  It has changed me for the better, and I am ever grateful for this blessed Gospel.

Love
Sister Wawro

p.s.  So, we just got the text...I'm bring TRANSFERRED.  It's really happening.  But I'm okay.  :)   I feel content.  I know our mission president prayed and GOD will put me where he wants me.  I'm ready for a new place with new experiences, and to see MORE of what Washington has to offer.  So it will be okay.  :)

PICTURES



Fort Casey




The island is just so beautiful!!!!!!!!


This couple is the Svenssons - they are in the ward, are Swedish, and I love them!

Recent convert we are working with

The mailman took us to lunch, and gave me all these going home gifts.  Two shirts and a sweatshirt and roses!  So nice!
(Mom note:  Seriously?  This girl is amazing - what mailman gives a parting missionary on their route GIFTS?  LOL!  Love it!!!!!)

Our Bishop - he is the BEST Bishop!

The Dowd family.... Oh how I LOVE them.  I will miss their family dearly

Patchings' - LOVE!  She gave me a South Whidbey mug - it's the best!

Papritz family - they are the BEST, the most fun family.  Oh I will miss them.  We laughed till we cried like...every dinner appointment.  Ah, I love them!

 You can really see how much my hair color has grown out...LOL
(Mom note:  I just told her it looked 'ombre'...all the rage right now.  Ha ha!)


VIDEO

Fort Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment