Saturday, November 9, 2013

Halloween Week & Great Service

*From Sister Wawro's email Monday, Nov. 4th:

Today officially marks 90 days of me being out.  How crazy is that??

We found a new investigator while tracting. It was one of those silly moments when we do the normal tracting approach, invite them to learn, and then get rejection.  Except this time, he answers "okay, yeah lets hear your message." I was like 'what, people actually say yes?'  So then we started to teach him the restoration of the gospel.  Once he realized it was a bit longer then a five minute message, he asked if we could sit outside and talk. So we continued to teach him the whole first lesson on the grass outside, he said the closing prayer, and we have a return appointment. It was like out of an episode of the district or something, such a miraculous experience.

Our second investigator came to church yesterday. Stayed for Sacrament and Sunday School, cried during fast and testimony meaning, and paid fast offerings!  It was so wonderful.  The ward did an amazing job with fellow-shipping her and showing her love and kindness. She even participated in the lesson in Sunday School, asking questions and giving comments. Then SHE is the one that wanted to set up a lesson with us this week before we could even ask.

Third, our investigator who dropped us and didn't want to continue, has started to participate in the lessons we have with his recent convert family. We invited him when we first got there, but he said he was busy, but sure enough 5 minutes later he came and sat down with the lesson. We have dinner with their family tomorrow and mentioned it to him in passing and he was like "wait can you push it back to 7:30 so I can be there for dinner and the lesson?" Seriously, another miracle. The Lord is working and truly preparing the hearts of the children to hear His message.

We had more service as always.  Lol!  First we helped this guy sort through all of his recycling at one of those recycling plants.  I have been so privileged in Texas to just have a garbage can and then a recycling bin that we roll out onto the driveway!  Not on the island though...people have to save up their recycling and then go and sort it.  So this guy had just trunks full of cans, aluminum, paper, plastic, cardboard, magazines, newspapers, egg cart, bottles, glass, everything and we spent a good chunk of the morning sorting it.  It was a good experience and really made me appreciate the things that I have grown up with and taken for granted!

Then our second one - we helped this lady put new windows in.  There were like 3 service projects going on Saturday so we decided to go help with the one that had the least amount of people attending.  There was only us, the bishop, and 2 members.  We pulled all of the windows out, then the men glued and put the windows in, and our job was to hammer and nail all around the windows.  So we did just that for like, 4 hours!  I'm telling you, I'm getting quite good at using hammer and nails, now that I've built a chicken coop AND installed windows.  So that was a good experience, we took pictures at this one, so I'll have to send those to you.

Then we helped a member wash her windows.  Seems like a simple job, but you have to realize that people here have houses where one wall is just windows, because everyone here has amazing views!  So this was no little task.  Thankfully I've been blessed to work with a squeegee many times, from all those times I got to work with Sister Linton.  This member's house I was at, was so impressed with my window washing skills, which I found kinda funny!  Lol!

We had the ward Halloween party which was SO much fun and there was SUCH a great turn out.  We were able to invite lots of less-active and non-members and the Bishop was so proud of us and the work we have been doing to reach out to people.  The party was such a success.  We also were able to do a trunk or treat after, and the missionaries had a trunk and passed out candy which was so fun :)

I am doing so well. I am truly happier than I have ever been, just thriving in my love for my Savior and His gospel.  No sickness, or anything of that sort.  My stress levels are totally normal, I know I can do anything with the help of Christ, and He has truly strengthened my testimony of that this week.

I have been studying the Book of Mormon, and I am currently in 3rd Nephi, the chapters where Christ comes.  What a powerful section.  My testimony of the Savior has just truly increased so much.  I love to read the words of His teachings and how kind and caring He is towards the people of Nephi.  I know My Savior lives, and He does love me, and He knows me individually.  I love in 18:31 when he says "I know my sheep, and they are numbered."  There are so many people on the island who do not have a knowledge of the Savior, or know that He does know them personally, by name, and their needs. This week I really want to focus on testifying of that to those that I meet.

Thanks for everyone who has written me letters and sent packages, I feel so blessed to have so much support!  love you all <3

Sister Wawro

Beautiful view from the ferry one morning



At the ward Halloween party (Carina said, "these are my favorite people - they remind me of the Ambyr Porter's and Terin Andrus' of the ward, just young and fun!"

Becoming the expert carpenter, installing windows!  LOL!

 With her companion, Sister Tate.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment