So I got to stay on Whidbey Island ANOTHER transfer, it is awesome! I just love it here so much, seriously, it's the best place on earth. So my last companion went home on Tuesday. I dropped her off at the mission office Tuesday morning at like 7:30am then spent the rest of the day with two other sisters, making it a 3 pack. We were in the Port Gardner area. First we did a service project that morning. We hauled big chunks of wood into a truck that they had cut down. They were so impressed with our strength and hard work, he insisted we take $20 from him and go down to this old diner to eat milkshakes and fries. So we couldn't say no. :) This diner was called "Mikies" and it was filled with about 20 old men, it was like the old-man hang out, they are all playing chess and checkers and laughing and talking - it was awesome. So that was fun!
Then we had a couple lessons, one lesson in particular was with this African family that spoke Swahili. The 14 year old daughter was the only one that could speak English so she would have to translate everything we said from English to Swahili to them, then when they had a question she would translate from Swahili to English back to us. That was the coolest Plan of Salvation lesson I had ever taught.
Then they dropped me off at the mission office for transfers. I just hung out the rest of the day with all of the other trainers, there were about 8 of us total. Finally it came time for our greenies.....oh, well first - we usually meet in the chapel and have an opening prayer and sing hymns and then the trainers sit on one side of the chapel, the trainees on the other side of the chapel. The President announces our companion and area we'll be serving, and we hug and come sit in the middle of the chapel together. Tradition. BUT the ward at the Mill Creek building was having a New Year's party and they were using all the rooms, so we just had to do it in the hallway. He would announce the names and we stood up and hugged, so that was pretty funny - it was so informal! Lol! But yeah, so I got.... SISTER OSWALD. She is so amazing. From Cedar Hills, Utah. Just turned 19 in December, did a semester at BYU before coming. She is so great. Very sweet and so fun to be around. I am so looking forward to the next 12 weeks with her.
So then we stayed at the Port Gardner sister's house again and came back to the island the next day. We have just been visiting all our investigators and introducing my new sweet missionary to them. So that is all that happened this week, but it's been pretty great! Oh, there is also another missionary who came in from The Colony, TX as well as Chay Johnson from Denton!
I also just wanted to share a cool experience I had in my personal study...
I am learning so much. I'm still studying the four gospels, currently in the Book of John. I just wanted to share with you this insight I learned. So, though I am currently in the book of John, I went back and was comprising some studies from the Book of Matthew. I came across chapter 4 where Jesus is fasting for 40 days and then the devil tempts him. In verse 11 it talks about after Jesus had fasted, and the devil finally left him, angels were sent to minister unto Him. Which totally makes sense because that was a very hard trial, it would make sense that angels could come and help him! But if you read the footnote for that verse and the JST that goes along with it it says that Jesus knew that John was in prison and so he sent the angels to minister unto HIM as in John, not himself. Wow! I never knew that. What a testimony building experience that in the face of trial and adversity when he is given help, he sends it to someone else who is in more need. What a selfless example, He was truly perfect in every aspect of life. Always turning outward and not inward. That is something I really want to focus on, turning outward constantly instead of inward. Focusing on the people and what I can do for them, instead of the numbers and what I want for me.
Having the opportunity to serve a mission has by-far been the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and has changed my life for the better forever. Everyone needs to have the opportunity to serve a mission.
Love you all!!
Sister Wawro
Here is my sweet companion, Sis. Oswald. Isnt she great!? Seriously now. Gorgeous. I love her and we have so much fun together.
Seriously this view just kills me, I love it. And the mountains... LOVE IT!!
No comments:
Post a Comment